- Inhibit evaporation to prevent perishing/maintain soil temperature in winter
- Inhibit sprouting or growth of weeds by limiting sunlight
- Reduce soil corrosion and erosion (especially slope)/ inhibit soil pollution and soil-borne bacteria
- Helpful to proliferating microcosm in soil/ reduce rotten fruit by restricting fruit from being touched by soil.
- Protect trees or other landscaping plants from weed whacker/ protect protruded roots of trees
- Curtail soil compaction caused by human activity or equipment
- Serve as buffer for hard surface such as concrete/inhibit arsenic acid of soil
- Create beautiful landscaping